COLLEGE DRINKING DANGERS
As a parent I share this fear with the rest of you. The fear of my child being out in the big world and not having family to support them when faced with the new and tempting decisions in life that they must face. High on the list of temptations is the use of alcohol and drugs which creates College Drinking Dangers. We have listed below some statistics that are from a 2009 study. I don’t know for sure what the current day figures are but this at least gives us a point of reference. Pray for our children!
The consequences of excessive and underage drinking on college campuses affect all of us. Here we go:
- Academic Problems: Nearly 27% of college students report that they have suffered academic consequences as a result of their drinking including missing class, falling behind in their work, doing poorly on assignments and receiving lower grades than expected.
- Drunk Driving: Nearly 3.5 Million, yes I said million, students between the ages of 18 and 25 drive under the influence of alcohol. A DUI conviction can ruin your future.
- Alcohol Abuse: Nearly 32% of college students meet the criteria for a diagnosis of alcohol abuse.
- Injury: In 2009, nearly 600,000 college students between 18 and 24 were unintentionally injured while under the influence of alcohol.
- Assault: Approximately 697,000 in this age group reported that they were assaulted by another student who had been drinking.
- Death: Of this age group, approximately 1,825 students died from alcohol-related unintentional injuries, including automobile accidents.
- Sexual Abuse: Nearly 100,000 students report that they were victims of alcohol-related sexual assault or date rape.
- Unsafe Sex: Nearly 400,000 students reported that they had unprotected sex and nearly 100,000 reported that they were too intoxicated to consent to having sex.
These statistics are frightening as a parent. Please do not send your children to college without speaking to them about these dangers. Educate them and have them ready to address the temptations when they faced with them.
Please be aware of College Drinking Dangers
If your child has any legal problems relating to alcohol or drugs while attending school at Auburn University or Southern Union, feel free to contact us for a free case evaluation.